Pecan Rice Stuffing
Curry and cumin lend wonderful flavor to this side dish that gets its sweetness from raisins and its crunch from pecans. "The delicious recipe works well for stuffing Cornish hens," Daphne Blandford writes from Gander, Newfoundland.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cumin and curry powder. Add
- the rice; cook and stir until evenly coated. Add broth; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice
- is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in the onions, raisins
- and pecans. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 215 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.