Peasant Bean Soup
This is an extra-good hearty soup. I often serve it to my church circle of over 100 members. After dinner, I'm always asked for this special recipe.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, washed and sorted
- 2-1/2 quarts cold water, divided
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. water.
- Add remaining water to softened beans and bring to a boil; reduce
- heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer 1 hour or until beans are
- tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 263 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.