Peas in Cheese Sauce
Mom dresses up convenient frozen peas with a quick-to-fix cheese sauce that our family loves.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas, thawed
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the flour,
- salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the cheese; stir
- until melted. Stir in peas; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until heated
- through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 114 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.