Peas & Pasta Carbonara
Using cream cheese to fortify the sauce speeds up cooking time and will have you eating my take on this old-time classic carbonara recipe in about 30 minutes. —Celeste Brantolino, Lenoir, North Carolina
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) fettuccine
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or deli ham, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook fettuccine according to package directions,
- adding the peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute. Add milk and cream cheese; cook and stir until blended.
- Remove from the heat; stir in prosciutto and Parmesan cheese.
- Drain fettuccine and peas; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 553 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 25 g protein.