Pears and Cranberries Poached in Wine
An elegant dessert doesn't have to take tons of work. The oven does the cooking for this simple yet impressive dinner finale.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium pears
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups white wine or white grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Creme fraiche or whipped cream
- Peel, core and halve the pears. Place cut side up in a greased 13-in.
- x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cranberries. In a small saucepan,
- combine the wine, sugar, cranberry juice, butter and lemon peel.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; spoon over
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until pears are
- tender, basting occasionally. Serve with creme fraiche. Yield: 12
Nutrition Facts: 1 pear half with 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without creme fraiche) equals 120 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium,