Pearl Onion, Cherry & Pear Chutney
When I first saw this chutney's interesting combination of pearl onions and dried cherries, I knew I had to give the recipe a try. It tastes even better than I imagined!
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound pearl onions
- 2-1/2 cups dried cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil
- for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel, cut in half and
- place in a large saucepan. Stir in the cherries, water, sugar,
- vinegar, salt and cloves.
- Toss pears with lemon juice; stir 2 cups into saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until desired
- consistency is achieved. Stir in remaining pears; heat through.
- Yield: 6 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals 105 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 103 mg sodium,