Pear Crumble Pie
I couldn't really imagine a pear pie until I bit into this succulent dessert. The sweet crumb topping is wonderful and the filling is a nice change from apple. Try it with a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt. —Ruth Ann Stelfox of Raymond, Alberta
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and flour; add the pears and toss
- gently to coat. Spoon into pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine
- the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over pie.
- Bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes or until pears are tender and
- topping is golden brown. Cover edges loosely with foil during the
- last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 300 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.