Pear Cranberry Sauce
We don't care for regular cranberry sauce, so I usually perk it up with other fruit. This pear version is the one my family requests most often. It's sweet, tangy and a beautiful ruby-red color. Since it keeps well in the refrigerator, I often make it in advance.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled ripe pears (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches), broken in half
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the pears, water, ginger and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the cranberries have popped
- and sauce is slightly thickened, stirring several items.
- Discard cinnamon sticks. Mash sauce if desired. Cool. Cover and
- refrigerate until serving. Yield: about 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 149 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein.