Pear Coffee Cake
I first tasted a moist, delicious pear coffee cake at a bake sale. At Christmas, I bake it instead of fruitcake, adding chopped nuts and chopped red and green candied cherriesabout 1/4 cup of each.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3 cups chopped peeled pears
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a bowl, cream together sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Sift together flour, cinnamon,
- salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla. Bay hand,
- stir in coconut, dates, pears and pecans (batter will be thick).
- Spoon into a greased and floured fluted tube pan. Bake at 325°
- for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until cake tests done. Cool on rack until
- cake comes away from sides of pan; remove from pan to a wire rack to
- cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 536 calories, 31 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium,