Peanut Butter Cookies
My mother insisted that my grandmother write down one recipe for her when she got married in 1942. That was a real effort because Grandma was a traditional pioneer-type cook who used "a little of this or that 'til it feels right". This treasured recipe is the only one she ever wrote down!
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter and sugars until
- light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Flatten with a fork or meat mallet if desired. Bake at
- 375° for 10-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 180 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.