“Everyone will ooh and aah when you bring this pretty, patriotic trifle out,“ promises Sandra Brown from Independence, Iowa. But don‘t forget to include one tiny American flag for each child in your group—unless you want to see some real fireworks!
16-20 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- In two small bowls, combine each gelatin flavor with 1 cup boiling
- water. Stir 1/2 cup cold water into each. Pour each into an
- ungreased 9-in. square pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let
- stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 2 cups whipped
- Set aside 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup strawberries for garnish.
- Cut the gelatin into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or serving
- dish, layer the strawberry gelatin, half of the cake cubes, the
- remaining blueberries and half of the pudding mixture.
- Top with blue gelatin and remaining cake cubes, strawberries and