These festive cupcakes from Jodi Rugg of Aurora,Illinois are sure to be the star of your Fourth of July menu. "One year, I divided the batter from regular cupcakes into portions and used food coloring to make red, white and blue treats," Jodi explains. "Our kids loved helping prepare them." TIP: "Our daughters suggests trying different food coloring for the holidays," notes Jodi.
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 teaspoon blue food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and blue food coloring. In
- another bowl, combine 1-1/3 cups batter and red food coloring. Leave
- remaining batter plain.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups with 2 tablespoons red batter, 2
- tablespoons plain batter and 2 tablespoons blue batter. Bake at
- 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost with vanilla frosting;
- decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.