Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
This is the recipe we use in the Test Kitchen when we test readers' pie recipes that don't include a specific recipe for the pastry.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until
- crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball
- forms. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate.
- Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of
- pie plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe
- directions. Yield: 1 pastry shell (9 or 10 inches).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 144 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.