Pastry for Extra-Large Double-Crust Pie
Our Test Kitchen home economists adapted one of their 9-inch, double-crust recipes for an 11-1/2- to 12-inch pie plate. Bake an extra-big pie and watch eyes light up!Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the
- other. Roll out larger ball to fit an 11-1/2-in. to 12-in. pie
- plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; trim even with edge of plate.
- Pour desired filling into crust. Roll out second ball; cut slits in
- pastry. Position over filling. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of
- pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake
- according to recipe directions. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 301 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.