Pastry for Double Pie-Crust
Use this recipe from our Test Kitchen when you need pastry for a double-crust or lattice-topped pie.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so one ball is slightly larger than the other.
- Roll out the larger ball to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer
- pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry with even with edge of plate. Pour
- desired filling into crust.
- Roll out second ball; cut slits in pastry. Position over filling.
- Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust over
- bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake according to recipe directions.
- Yield: Pastry for 1 double-crusted or lattice-topped pie (9 or 10
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 260 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.