Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
You need only a handful of ingredients for this classic pie crust from our Test Kitchen. Add your family's favorite filling for a tantalizing treat.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until
- crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms
- a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger
- than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie
- plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- Pour desired filling into crust. Roll out second ball. Position over
- filling; cut slits in pastry. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of
- pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top
- crust over bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake according to recipe
- directions. Yield: pastry for double-crust pie (9 or 10 inches).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 260 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.