A friend brought this colorful bean dish to my house for a church circle potluck dinner. As soon as I tasted these slightly sweet baked beans, I had to have the recipe. I've served this and shared the recipe many times since.
-Jean Cantner, Boston, Virginia
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Stir in the
- beans and peas. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until onion
- and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with non-salt-added ketchup) equals 211 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 meat.