Parmesan Potatoes Au Gratin
This recipe represents my philosophy of cooking to its best - cooking with love. A good test to see if you have enough cream in the recipe is to gently press on the top of the layers (once finished). If there is enough cream, you should see it coming out on the sides, but not overflowing. Letting the au gratin rest is very important . . . even though it is so delicious that you would want to jump
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds red potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Combine the first five ingredients. Layer a third of the potatoes and
- 2/3 cup cheese mixture in a greased 8-in. square baking dish; repeat
- layers. Top with remaining potatoes; pour cream over top. Sprinkle
- with remaining cheese mixture.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 65 minutes. Increase temperature to
- 375°. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until potatoes are
- tender and top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before
- serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 378 calories, 30 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.