Paradise Rice Salad
Esther Conrad of Overland Park, Kansas tossed together this satisfying salad starring rice and other healthy ingredients such as spinach, almonds and oranges. "A little citrus makes this a fruitful change of pace from plain lettuce and dressing," she confirms.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 small navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, Italian dressing, orange
- peel, honey and salt. Add rice; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- for 2 hours. Just before serving, add the spinach, oranges, celery
- and almonds; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 171 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.