Appealing apple slices peek through a tangy ruby-red cranberry sauce in this simple but extraordinary side dish. Whether I use this recipe for a holiday dinner or to spark up a Sunday supper, it wouldn't be a feast without a bowl of beautiful and delicious Paradise Cran-Applesauce!
-Sallie McQuay, Sayre, Pennsylvania
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 cups sugar
- In a covered saucepan, simmer cranberries and water for 20-25 minutes
- or until tender. Press through a sieve or food mill; return to the
- Add apples; covered and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until apples are
- tender but retain their shape. Add sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 224 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein.