"I think frozen bread dough should be called magic dough because there is so much you can do with it," says Liz Lazenby of Victoria, British Columbia. "These flavorful knots are delicious with soup...or use them for sandwiched or burgers."
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup each diced mushrooms, broccoli and sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Divide bread dough into eight pieces. In a shallow bowl, combine the
- cheese, vegetables, garlic and garlic powder. Roll each piece of
- dough into an 8-in. rope. Roll in cheese mixture, pressing mixture
- into dough. Tie into a knot and press vegetables into dough; tuck
- ends under.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until
- doubled about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: One bun (prepared with reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 198 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.