ONE SUMMER when my husband and I were enjoying our first "getaway" in years, we found ourselves stranded in our cabin cruiser with a dead battery.
When hunger set in, my husband rigged up a fishing line, and soon there were two trout sizzling on the portable grill.
We eventually made it home all right...and kept the recipe we'd devised.
-Felicia Cummings, Raymond, Maine
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 lake trout fillets (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon-flavored crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Pinch pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Lemon wedges and/or minced chives or parsley, optional
- Rinse fish in cold water; pat dry. In a shallow bowl, combine the
- cheese, cracker crumbs, cornmeal, garlic salt and pepper. In another
- bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip fish in the egg mixture, then gently
- roll in the crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, fry fish in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or
- until it flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with lemon, chives
- and/or parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 524 calories, 39 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 152 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.