Overnight Vegetable Salad
My friend Anne, whom I first met in sixth grade, gave me this recipe. Whenever I'm invited to a potluck and a salad is needed, I make a double batch. There are seldom any leftovers! This is also my favorite recipe to share.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) tiny green peas, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) French-style green beans, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine peas, beans, corn, onion, celery and
- pimientos. In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; heat and
- stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over the vegetables. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
If Cooking for Two: Salad will keep for several days stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 185 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.