Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables
All kinds of root vegetables star in this colorful medley. Fresh thyme and sage season the mix of rutabaga, parsnips and butternut squash. "This side dish is satisfying anytime of year," says Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland. "Besides being delicious, it's very easy to prepare."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups cubed peeled parsnips
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large bowl, combine the rutabaga, parsnips, squash and onions.
- Add the oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in a single
- layer in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking
- spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-50 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Sprinkle with herbs; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 168 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.