Whipped topping conceals a glorious blend of cherries, pineapple, bananas and pecans in this pie from Louise Roth of Sterling, Kansas. "This was one of my father's favorites," she writes. "I also like to serve it to special company."
12-16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 6 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 pastry shells (9 inches), baked
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a large saucepan, combine pie filling and pineapple. Combine sugar
- and cornstarch; add to fruit mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or
- until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Add gelatin and food coloring if desired; mix
- well. Cool. Fold in bananas and pecans. Pour into the pie shells.
- Spread with whipped topping. Chill until serving. Yield: 2 pies (6-8
- servings each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 356 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.