Orzo Chicken Soup
For a different twist on noodle soup, Betty Rench adds orzo, small rice-like grains of pasta. "It cooks up nicely with tender chunks of chicken," she writes from Eaton, Indiana.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add 1 can
- broth, carrot and celery; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chicken, orzo, pepper and remaining
- broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30
- minutes or until orzo and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with
- parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equal 225 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 890 mg sodium, 26 carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 protein.