This taffy has a satisfying tang that hits the tongue just before the sweetness. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe years ago. It takes time to wrap all the little candies, but the kids can help. It's a great way to involve them in the kitchen.
-Christine Olson, Horse Creek, California
72 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a heavy saucepan, combine first four ingredients. Cook and stir
- over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rapid boil and
- cook until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; gradually add cream and butter. Return to the
- heat; cook and stir until mixture reaches 245° again.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; cool. When cool
- enough to handle, roll into 1/2-in. logs or 1-in. balls. Wrap
- individually in foil or waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 67 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.