Orange Rice Medley
My family especially enjoys this lovely, slightly sweet side dish. It looks so pretty with the harvest colors of chopped green and red peppers and orange slices tucked in with the rice.
-Zita Wilensky, North Miami, Florida
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and peppers in oil until
- tender. Add rice; stir until lightly browned. Add broth, orange
- juice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in
- oranges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 137 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.