Orange-Nut Sweet Potatoes
When my siblings and I were young, my mom created this recipe in hopes that we would eat more vegetables. It worked! The citrus sauce went so well with the tender sweet potatoes that the dish quickly became a family favorite and is now a standard at our holiday table.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until
- tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar,
- cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in orange juice. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and
- orange peel; stir until butter is melted.
- Drain sweet potatoes; place in a serving dish. Add orange juice
- mixture and gently stir to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 312 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.