"I enjoy preparing these lovely treats with my grandchildren," notes Muriel Lerdal of Humboldt, Iowa. "The make-ahead dough is great for a gathering."
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in the milk, butter,
- eggs, sugar, salt and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased
- bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Return one portion to the
- refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll out second portion into an
- 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle; cut width-wise into 3/4-in. strips. Fold
- each strip in half lengthwise and twist several times. Pinch the
- ends to seal.