Orange-Glazed Cornish Hens
This is a wonderfully elegant entree to serve at a cozy dinner party for four. Your guests will think you spent hours in the kitchen preparing the tender golden-brown hens and perfecting the full-flavored basting sauce.
Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine,sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Tie legs of each hen together; turn wing tips under backs. Place on a
- greased rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with
- salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Spoon over hens.
- Bake 15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 each) equals 682 calories, 40 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 235 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 35 g protein.