Orange Corn Muffins
"THIS IS an old recipe that I decided to improve uponI thought the topping was too sweet, so I just left it off. I also took out the pecans that the recipe called for. Sometime, I'll make lemon corn muffins by substituting lemon peel if I don't happen to have any oranges on hand."
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and
- salt. In another bowl, combine egg, milk, oil and orange peel. Stir
- into cornmeal mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 15
- minutes or until lightly brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing
- to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 161 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.