Orange Buttermilk Salad
A dear friend shared this recipe with me years ago. Now it's my favorite dish to take to a church meeting, shower or any potluck eventit's always a hit. Whenever I serve this salad, people ask for the recipe. They find it hard to believe it's really made with buttermilk!
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (6 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a saucepan, combine pineapple and sugar; bring to a boil, stirring
- occasionally. When mixture boils, immediately add gelatin and stir
- until dissolved. Cool slightly. Stir in buttermilk. Chill until
- partially set. Fold in whipped topping and nuts. If necessary, chill
- until mixture mounds slightly. Pour into a lightly oiled 8-1/2-cup
- mold. Chill overnight. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2/3 cup) equals 168 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.