Orange Anise Sparkler
A spice infused simple syrup is the base for the orange juice beverage. If it has too adult a flavor for the kids, skip the simple syrup and just mix the orange juice with the club soda.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 cups orange juice, chilled
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- Orange slices and additional whole star anise
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, star anise and
- cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 1
- minute. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Strain
- mixture, discarding spices. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large pitcher, combine the orange juice and soda; stir in sugar
- syrup. Serve in cocktail glasses; garnish with orange slices and
- star anise. Yield: 2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 138 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.