Orange & Mint Snap Peas
This classic steaming method produces vibrant, crisp-tender vegetables. The sweet taste of snap peas is accented with orange, sugar and mint. Yum! Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by
- half, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place peas in a steamer basket in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or
- until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add orange
- juice mixture and mint; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 117 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.