Open-Faced Veggie Sandwiches
"Since I'm a vegetarian, I love these broiled sandwiches," reports Karen Mello of Fairhaven, Massachusetts. "Even non-vegetarians like their fresh taste," she assures. The veggie-topped muffin halves make a great snack or quick lunch and are priced at only 8¢ a serving.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 4 English muffins, split
- 1/2 cup each chopped fresh broccoli, cauliflower and sweet red pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread mustard on cut sides of muffins. Top each with vegetables and
- cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3 minutes or until the
- cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 English muffin havles equals 249 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 506 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.