Onion Poppy Seed Biscuits
Perfect alongside a salad or casserole, these buttermilk biscuits are ready in no time. Golden on the outside, tender on the inside, they offer a mild onion flavor with every bite. —Test Kitchen
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the
- onion until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour,
- baking powder, brown sugar, poppy seeds, salt and baking soda. Cut
- in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in onions.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat to
- 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 biscuit equals 125 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium,