Onion Pita Pizza
For a different appetizer or snack, try these appealing "pizzas" from Mary Lou Wayman of Salt Lake City, Utah. With their mild blue cheese and onion flavor and crispy pita crust, they're sure to hit the spot with your favorite summer beverage.
2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pita bread (6 inches)
- 2/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small skillet, cook onion in butter over low heat for 20-25
- minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place
- pita bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10
- minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a food processor, combine cottage cheese and blue cheese; cover
- and process until blended. Spread over pita bread; top with onion.
- Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until heated
- through. Cut into wedges.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 pizza equals 293 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.