Onion Brunch Pie
I found this recipe in a cookbook in a chapter called, “Recipes for Busy Days”. I love quiche but hate the hassle in making a crust. This recipe solves that problem for me. I continue to make this dish for brunches and it’s a favorite for our family Christmas breakfast.
2 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in 1 tablespoon
- butter for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in
- onions. Pour into a greased 7-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat butter, egg substitute and reduced-fat cheese) equals 261 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 870 mg sodium,