One-Pot Pork and Rice
No one will guess that this filling entree from Duna Stephens of palisade, Colorado goes easy on fat and calories. Green pepper and onion enhance the spanish-style rice and tender chops, which are covered with diced tomatoes and gravy.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (5 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 envelope pork gravy mix
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, brown pork chops in oil on both sides; drain. Remove
- chops from pan and keep warm. Layer rice, onion and green pepper in
- Dutch oven; top with pork chops.
- Combine the gravy mix, tomatoes and water; pour over chops. Cover;
- bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads
- 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 pork chop with about 1/2 cup rice equals 391 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 545 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot