Old-World Puff Pancake
MY MOM told me her mother-in-law showed her how to make this dish, which became popular during the Depression, on their "get acquainted" visit in 1927.
At that time, cooks measured ingredients as pinches, dashes and dibs. But through the years, accurate amounts were noted.
My wife and I continue to enjoy this dish today, particularly for brunch.
-Auton Miller, Piney Flats, Tennessee
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar
- Lemon wedges
- Syrup, optional
- Place butter in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; place in a 425° oven
- for 2-3 minutes or until melted. In a blender, process the eggs,
- milk, flour, sugar and nutmeg until smooth. Pour into prepared
- Bake at 425° for 16-18 minutes or until puffed and browned. Dust
- with confectioners' sugar. Serve with lemon and syrup if desired.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 154 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.