Old-Time Butter Crunch Candy
Both my children and my grandchildren say the season wouldn't be the same without the big tray of candies and cookies I prepare. This one's the popular part of that collection. We love the nutty pieces draped in chocolate.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups finely chopped toasted almonds
- 8 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; set aside. Using part of the
- butter, grease the sides of a large heavy saucepan. Add remaining
- butter to saucepan; melt over low heat. Add sugar, corn syrup and
- water. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer
- reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat and stir in almonds. Quickly pour into the
- prepared pan, spreading to cover bottom of pan. Cool completely.
- Carefully invert pan to remove candy in one piece; remove foil.
- Melt half of the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl;
- spread over top of candy. Let cool. Turn candy over and repeat with
- remaining chocolate; cool. Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an
- airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 375 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 137 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.