Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding
This comforting dessert is a wonderful way to end any meal. As a girl, I always waited eagerly for the first heavenly bite. Today, my husband likes to top his with a scoop of ice cream.
#151; Sandra Melnychenko, Grandview, Manitoba
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice, sugar and salt if
- desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour
- into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add raisins and vanilla; cover and bake for 15 minutes longer or
- until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Serve warm
- or chilled. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with skim milk and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 skim milk; also, 177 calories, 83 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 37 gm carbohydrate, 7 gm protein, trace fat.