Old-Fashioned Raisin Pie
"My family came to Texas from Virginia after the Civil War," relates Debra Ayers from Cheyenne, Wyoming. "Two brothers helped drive a herd of cattle up the Chisholm Trail to Abilene, Kansas. The boys decided to stay in Kansas and open a meat market. They did well. One brother sent for his girlfriend back in Texas to come and marry him. She did, and she brought this recipe. The family has been maki
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust (9 inches)
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Add sour cream. Stir in raisins, brown sugar,
- cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Place bottom pastry in a pie plate; our
- in filling. Top with a lattice crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°; bake 25
- minutes longer or until filling is set. If desired, sprinkle with
- nutmeg. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 529 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 319 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.