Old-Fashioned Cutout Cookies
These simple cookies are so crisp and buttery, it's hard to eat just one. I make them for special holidays, but they're welcome anytime.
-Elizabeth Turner, Lula, Georgia
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in the egg, milk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness.
- Cut with 3-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Sprinkle with
- additional sugar.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.