Old-Fashioned Coffee Cake
"I have many buttermilk recipes, and this one brings back the flavor of old fashioned homemade doughnuts," says Rita Reifenstein of Evans City, Pennsylvania. Spiced with nutmeg, slices of the tasty cake are even more tempting served with a dollop of whipped cream.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1
- teaspoon nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan (batter will be thick).
- Combine the remaining sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over batter. Bake
- at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 319 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.