Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding
Through the years, I've made this bread pudding quite often and am asked for the recipe each time. I think folks find this dessert so appealing because of its comforting taste and texture.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 slices stale bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine milk, egg substitute, vanilla and sweetener in a bowl. Add
- bread cubes and raisins; stir gently. Pour into a 1-qt. baking dish
- coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Place in a
- shallow pan; add 1 in. of water. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or
- until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts:Nutritional Analysis: 1/6 of recipe equals 113 calories, 165 mg sodium, 1 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 3 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 meat.