Old-Fashioned Blueberry Jam
This is such an easy jelly and comes together very quickly. It also makes a great gift for friends and family!Kay Laney, North Liberty, Indiana
64 ServingsPrep: 50 min. Process: 10 min.
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup clover honey
- In a Dutch oven, bring blueberries and water to a boil; mash and stir
- for 5 minutes. Add sugar and honey; boil gently, uncovered, over
- medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To test for doneness: Remove from heat; spoon about 1 tablespoon of
- hot jam onto a chilled plate and set plate in freezer until the jam
- has cooled to room temperature, 1-2 minutes. When the cooled jam
- holds its shape when mounded with a spoon, the jam has reached its
- desired thickness. If necessary, return to heat and repeat test
- after additional cooking.
- Skim off any foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint
- jars, leaving 1/4-in. of headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims
- and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in boiling-water canner.
- Yield: 4 half-pints.
Editor's Note: This recipe does not require packaged pectin.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 59 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.