“Add extra nutrition to fiber-rich oatmeal by adding chopped apple with the peel and chopped almonds. My two boys demand seconds!” At 1-1/2 cups per serving, it's hearty and filling; and at zero cholesterol, what's not to love? Danielle Pepa - Elgin, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Maple syrup and/or fat-free milk, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add the
- apples, oats and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with
- almonds. Serve with maple syrup and/or milk if desired. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cups (calculated without syrup and milk) equals 245 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.