- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats; let stand for 10
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly,
- about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking
- powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to
- creamed mixture. Stir in the oats. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking
- pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1
- minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Return to a boil. Cook and stir 1
- minute longer. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Immediately
- spread icing over cake. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 216 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.